Saturday, March 5, 2011

My First Book Post

Okay, I promised that I would do the occasional post about what I'm reading so consider this my first review.  I'm new at this so please don't judge me too harshly :)

One note that I should make here is that I read for purely entertainment purposes.  It is rare that I will pick up a work of non-fiction or (gasp!) anything educational.  I spend my days in the office taxing my poor brain to its limits and reading is my little escape from reality during my lunch hour and commute.  By commute, I mean by bus.  Of course I wouldn't read while driving (yeesh!).  I love mysteries, action-packed thrillers, some vampire/werewolf/supernatural fantasy among other things.

I recently picked up Andy McDermott's latest book, The Pyramid of Doom.  I had never read one of his books before and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Now, I'm one of those people who, when they find an author they enjoy, must go back and read all of their books.  I'm actually pretty anal about it which is why, within days of finishing Pyramid, I was back in the bookstore buying The Hunt for Atlantis.

This book is the first in his series featuring archaeologist Nina Wilde and ex-SAS bodyguard Eddie Chase.  The action starts almost right away and doesn't stop.  Ten years after Nina's parents die, supposedly in an avalanche, during their search for the legendary city of Atlantis, she has been continuing their work and is hot on the trail.  Unfortunately, she is not the only one and the race is on.  The chemistry between the character is great and there are enough bad guys to keep it interesting.  Of course, the lines between good and bad are not always entirely clear.  Mr. McDermott does an excellent job of combining historical facts and legends with his own story telling to make this an engaging adventure.

Now the main characters *somehow* manage to survive through enough flying bullets, bombs and physical abuse that their survival stretches the limits of believability but if you're willing to suspend your disbelief in the name of a romping good time and a bit of escapism from real life, you'll really enjoy this book.  I did.

As I'm sure you've already guessed, I'll be heading out to the bookstore again soon to get the second book in the series, The Tomb of Hercules.  This is how my little home library expands with numerous series.  Yeah, I'm using the term "little" very loosely here.  So sue me!

Kat

7 comments:

  1. Great review! I am a crazy series reader. I didn't read any of the Harry Potter books until the series was finished because it makes me crazy to sit and wait for the next book to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Janessa
    I know! I've got several series that I follow and waiting for the next to come out in paperback totally kills me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading book reviews from someone I actually know has good taste in books!! I'm a little skeptikal on this book as i;m not THAT much into action adventure but please please keep writing reviews!! "LIKE"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it's MW who posted that last comment btw LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous
    Thanks Sweet Friend! I had a feeling that was you before I even got to the second comment. I can't be your librarian anymore but I can still "spread the word" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm an avid reader too, just started Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See...looks like it's going to be good!! I'm from New Brunswick and I'm trying to follow as many of my fellow Canadian bloggers as possible. I’m now your newest follower on GFC and Twitter. Hope you have a chance to check out my blog, have a look around and maybe follow me back!!
    Monica
    http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Monica
    Thank you Monica! Hopefully we'll be able to introduce each other to some interesting books that each of us wouldn't have found. I followed you too :)

    ReplyDelete