Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Currently......




One of Mama Kat’s Writing Prompts this week is the theme “currently”.  She actually got this prompt from Danielle at Sometimes Sweet .  It's a great way to tell everyone that what’s happening in small snippets without boring you with a whole post about my favourite show or my latest craving. 

What I’m reading – Right now I am reading Scarecrow Returns by Matthew Reilly.  Of course, it turns out that this is his second book with this character and I haven’t read the first but, luckily, it’s the kind of book that stands alone well.  It’s one of those “save the world from doomsday” thrillers that can be an entertaining, rollicking good time.  I mean, really, who wants to read War and Peace on a hot summer afternoon?  You know that I’ll definitely be going out and getting the first book after this! 

What I’m listening to – The last albums that I bought (back in January) were David Bowie’s latest and Bon Jovi’s.  Can you tell whose teens years were in the eighties?  I have always thought that Bowie is a phenomenal talent and was thrilled to hear new material from him after all this time.  Of course, I “came of age” listening to Bon Jovi and the other rock bands of the era and will always have a soft spot for them.  Jon Bon Jovi has just gotten better with age.  Don’t tell his wife but, secretly, he’s my boyfriend  ;)   

What gets me down – There actually isn’t much that’s getting me down in my own life these days until I read the news of course.  The news coming from the train derailment in nearby Lac Megantic (in Quebec near the US border) is enough to make you want to hold your loved ones tight.  It seems that every time I look, more bodies are being pulled from the wreckage of their town center.  My heart bleeds for that small town in the wake of such destruction. 

Thinking about – I’ve been enjoying getting back to this blog and am always thinking about things to post.  I’ve gotten rather hooked on these Writing Workshop prompts too and have been finding some really great bloggers because of it.   I’ve also had some long distance friends on my mind and realize that I haven’t been very good about staying in touch.  Since I’ve been enjoying spending so much time writing lately, I think that I need to spend some time writing to them and reconnecting. 

What I’m eating  With the heat wave that we’ve been suffering lately, my appetite hasn’t been big but I’ve been enjoying the fresh fruit and veggies that are abundant at this time of year.  I’ve also been addicted to Freezies and ice cream too.  It all balances out in the end, right? 

What I’m watching – I have gone on a real PBS kick lately.  I have always watched the British comedies on Saturday nights but I have expanded my repertoire in the last year or so.  I now love the British mysteries too - Midsomer Murders, Inspector Morse, Inspector Lewis, Endeavour, Sherlock – as well as Antiques Roadshow, Nova, American Masters among other specials.  I really must make a donation soon…..  

What I love  my kids; my family; chocolate; the fact that my kids are out of school and I don’t have to police the homework situation; curling up with a good book; chocolate; deep conversations (and not so deep ones) over a bottle (or two) of wine; my independence, financial and otherwise; chocolate (do you sense a theme here?) 

What’s up with you? 


Kat

Mama’s Losin’ It
 

9 comments:

  1. Love this! What a great picture of you : )

    I LOVE BBC mysteries. Can't get enough, even though my kids (23 & 20) hate most of them and make fun of me when they catch me watching.

    visiting from Writer's Workshop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melanie! My kids aren't into my mysteries either so I'm guaranteed to be left alone while watching them. Win!! LOL

      Delete
  2. I think one of the best parts of summer is eating popsicles and ice cream! I don't watch PBS, but after reading a few of these currently posts, I think I may have to check it out! And Bon Jovi. He's on my playlist too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cold treats are my reward for virtuously eating the healthy stuff of the season ;)

      You should definitely check out their mysteries; I'm sure you'll enjoy them

      Delete
  3. We watch a LOT of PBS. We don't have cable or satellite, so there aren't a lot of other options! But if you are just getting broadcast tv here, you can get three different PBS feeds, including a channel called "Create," which is a lot like HGTV.

    Summer is for ice cream and freezie pops, no apologies necessary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that some of your few options are such quality ones.

      Last light, I also had a great summer treat - vodka and cranberry over ice - probably more than was good for me ;)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The news really sucks, huh? Seems like it is getting everyone down.

    Independence is a great thing to be thankful for! I should think of that more often :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went straight from living with my parents to moving in with my boyfriend (who became my husband) so the word independence wasn't even in my vocabulary. Now, divorced for over eight years, it is one that I know and am proud of.

      Delete