Sunday, July 28, 2013

What happened to my little girl?


My daughter changed her profile picture on Facebook the other day and it blew my mind.  She looks so adult!  Who is this young woman with my daughter’s name?  She’s only going to be thirteen in September; not nearly old enough to look so grown up.  Right? 

Yes, I’m a bit delusional.  Deep down though, I know that she’s growing up.  She’s had her period for a while now along with fully developed boobies and the curves that go with it.  I hyperventilate a bit when she puts on those short shorts that all the girls are wearing and hold myself back from throwing a blanket over her.  Her father is pricing shotguns as we speak.  This whole “developing body” thing has been pretty hard on him.  When she has her first date, he may just have a stroke. 

Her personality is developing right along with her body.  She may be just heading into her teens but she has the whole act well worked out.  My former early-bird is just about impossible to get out of bed in the mornings now and boy is she grumpy!  There is a small, sadistic part of me that gets a thrill out of dragging her out of bed the way she used to do to me.  When she was younger, I actually had to make a rule that she wasn’t allowed to set foot out of bed until after 6:00 am!   

She has her own distinct style and knows exactly what she likes.  It’s rare, while we’re shopping, that she’ll like something that I point out.  I’ll hold up a cute shirt or some pants and I get “Meh” with a shrug.  Sigh……  I rarely try to buy a piece of clothing for her when she’s not with me since I tend to end up returning it. 

My early teen years were so damned hard.  I had a terrible time with low confidence; in my body, my personality, you name it……  Although I wasn’t as overweight as I am now, I was never a skinny little thing and never had any co-ordination to speak of so I was that kid who was always chosen last in gym class.  Add to this that I was painfully shy with a very small social circle and you’ve got a formula for misery.  Bullying was something that I was unfortunately familiar with.  Thankfully my daughter takes after her father in all of the good ways – we’ll save what her brother got from their father for another post.  She is confident and outgoing; able to make friends everywhere that she goes.  She is never chosen last because she has too many friends who want her to be with them.   She has a personality that draws people to her.  I am so grateful for this but am always alert to any changes.   I don’t ever want her to have to deal with the body image issues or rejection that I had to deal with.  I just have to be careful not to project my past experience on to her.

Despite my worries, she seems to be navigating high school and all of its challenges with grace and for that I am grateful.  



I love the young lady that she is becoming but it's still nice to see the occasional glimpse of my little girl in there.  

Kat

8 comments:

  1. They grow so fast. They are only young for such a short time. I once remember someone saying they wanted a baby and another replied you need to want s person because they re a grown person longer than they re your baby. That's so painfully true. My oldest is four and it s only 10 short years to 14. 14?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a wise person that said that. Get in all the cuddles that you can now because, trust me, they don't cuddle once they hit their tweens/teens. That being said, as much as I miss their younger days, I am really liking the people that they are growing into and I'm you'll feel the same way in ten years

      Delete
  2. I now know the things I have to dread in only a few short years. Makes me sad thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their childhood does go quickly but teen years aren't all bad. It's really interesting to see how their personalities (and their friends') develop not to mention that my son is taller than me now and can reach the top shelves ;)

      Delete
  3. She is beautiful!
    My boys are still very young, so I'm definitely enjoying all their littleness and willingness to let me smoosh their cheeks, and cuddle them as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison! That picture just took my breath away when I saw it.

      Those young years really do disappear quickly so remember to stop and "smell the flowers" whenever you can.

      Delete
  4. Isn't it amazing how fast they grow up. My baby is almost 2! and my Girl Scouts, some of whom I've been with since 2nd grade, are going into 7th grade next week! It makes me tear up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little bit scary to see how fast it happens but the journey is an amazing one that I wouldn't trade for anything!

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete