Thursday, May 29, 2014

Summer's here!

I’m going to blend two of Mama Kat's writing prompts for her Writer’s Workshop this week just because I can and I’m lame at those “list 10 things” lists.  So, how about some things that I’m looking forward to/dreading for summer and five things that every parent (at least this one) needs to survive summer?

I have a bit of a love/hate thing going on with the summer season. 

I love that the kids are almost done with school!  I love that there is no more homework stress or whining about having to go to bed at a decent time.  I love the flowers and the green grass.  I love the cheaper fresh local produce at my grocery store.  I love watching my kids’ soccer games which were cute when they were small and have become so much more exciting in their teens.  I also look forward to all of the festivals we have here in summer starting with June’s F1 race, Jazz Fest, Just for Laughs, Beerfest, etc.  The city truly comes alive. 

I Hate the heat and humidity of our Montreal summers (notice the capital “H” on hate for that one).  I hate sweating and not being able to sleep.  I’d enjoy our summers so much more if we could lose the humidity.  The mosquitos make me nuts too.  I have always been a mosquito magnet so I tend to suffer at dusk when they emerge.  It must be my sweet personality  (*snort*). 

So what does a parent need to survive the summer?

-A barbeque!  The fact that I’ve got two teens who believe that I am responsible for keeping them fed (the nerve!!) does not mean that I want to sweat over a hot stove.  Remember I hate sweating (see above) so this is when the BBQ saves the day.  There’s no dirty, foul smelling charcoal for this lady; I’ve got me a big bad-boy gas grill!  I admit, it’s one of the best things my ex-husband has ever given me.

-A good day camp program.  My ex and I have always both worked so finding a good day camp program that didn’t bust the bank was essential.  Our area of the city has always had a great program that keeps the kids active where they have made many friends.  This year, The Boy won’t be in it since he has expressed a desire to find a part-time job.  He is 15 (16 in September) so I’m good with that.  The Girl, who will be 14 in September, is going to be signed up though.  The teen program is great with plenty of day trips, pool time and sports.  All the things needed to keep a teen occupied for the summer



-When the kids are doing their own thing, every mom needs that one special drink that will make   summer get-togethers something to remember.  Now, I like wine, have a fondness for vodka-cranberry and, when in the mood for a beer, enjoy Bud Light with Lime for a light summer treat but I have found a new love.  Bud Light Lime Straw-ber-rita!  Oh. My. God!  I took it for a test run at the Victoria Day BBQ that I went to and it was a hit.  I see this being my official drink of this summer.  Go try it ladies; you’ll thank me!

-Air conditioning.  As I pointed out above, I hate being sweaty and get so very cranky when my apartment is too hot.  NOBODY likes me when I’m cranky; not even me.  So let’s all be good mommies and daddies and find ways to stay cool so we don’t create big therapy bills for the kiddies when they’re older …..

-The ability to not take life too seriously and a desire to get out there with your kids and make some wonderful summer memories.  Bring your camera to capture those memories.  Those sunny, smiling pictures will bring light to your life when the cold, dark winter descends on us again.

May you all have a wonderful summer!  :)

Kathy

12 comments:

  1. Montreal is hot and humid in summers? I didn't know that. I live on the panhandle of Florida where summer is decidedly hot and incredibly humid. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that a lot of people consider us the "great white north", lol, but it can get pretty uncomfortable here in summer. We probably can't compete with Florida in the summer though ;)

      Delete
  2. Ah, yes, air conditioning! Such a grand invention! My kids and I rode around in the car without it last year until about July 15th or so and it gets crazy hot here in NC in the summer. Long live Air Conditioning (I do not like to sweat)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, life without air conditioning would be a bad thing. I would be such a bitch to be around without it. Nobody wants that!

      Delete
  3. I am like you about heat and humidity not being my thing. And too hot to sleep?? The worst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get SO cranky when I don't get my beauty sleep, lol!

      Delete
  4. Great list. There are many things I love and look forward to with summer. Even though the end of summer usually means back to work I still usually also look forward to its end .
    Angela @ Time with A & N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I love the end of the school year but, by the end of August, I'm usually looking forward to the regularity of that schedule. There's no pleasing some of us ;)

      Delete
  5. That is a great list. I am lucky enough to have dry heat. You can totally move to Idaho and join me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that we'd have a blast together Betsy!

      Delete
  6. That Strawberita looks awfully tasty!! I definitely feel you on the love/hate relationship with Summer...I'm always looking forward to it, but it usually overstays it's welcome. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must try it Kat; you'll be hooked! I was just agreeing the same thing with one of my other commenters; by the end of August, I tend to be happy to get back to the regularity of the school year, not to mention the cooler weather.

      Delete